Welcome to the Victorian Richmond RSL Sub-Branch website
These foundation stones and memorial tablets are part of the building owned and occupied by the Richmond RSL Sub-Branch in Victoria.
The Richmond RSL Sub-Branch in Victoria has a proud history in providing services to returned servicemen and servicewomen and their dependents from 1918. Within two years of forming it was formally Chartered as a Branch RSL in 1920. Since its early days operating out of Richmond House (the Richmond Library today), the RSL has provided support and camaraderie to the men and women of the three Services. The RSL continues to provide a place for reflecting on the cost for the defence of Australia, its national interests in time of war and the hardship suffered by all because of war.
The formation of the Sub-Branch came at a time when Richmond was the industrial hub of the thriving city of Melbourne. The Sub-Branch attracted hundreds of ex-servicemen as they returned from two World Wars. The Sub-Branch’s prominence in the life of Richmond attracted the support of both the community and the City of Richmond local government, which provided the Sub-Branch funds for construction of the Memorial Hall completed in 1922 on land located at 399 Church Street. In 1984, the land title was formally transferred by the City of Richmond to the Richmond RSL Sub-Branch to ensure the Sub-Branch’s continued existence and ongoing custody of the Memorial Hall and adjoining rooms. This proud relationship and partnership between the Richmond RSL Sub-Branch and the City of Yarra continues to this day.
From its formation, the Richmond RSL Sub–Branch in Victoria has continued to support the aims, traditions and history of the RSL Victorian Branch. The Richmond RSL Sub–Branch continues to receive wide community support from the local population of Richmond and surrounding areas.